An exclusive 47 minutes conversation between Professor Stephen Rollnick, a co-founder of Motivational Interviewing, and SDS Founder and Director, Paul Grantham.
This interview covers essential fundamentals of creation of Motivational Interviewing, one of the leading therapeutic approaches of the twentieth century, and its prospects and developments in the twenty first. In this candid conversation between two colleagues, Stephen Rollnick answers Paul Grantham’s questions on the whole range of issues, covering among others:
- His early life in South Africa as a descendant of immigrants and his early professional development
- How he met William Miller and the very beginnings of MI development
- How MI spread out from addition to the general medical field and behaviour change generally
- Motivation in Counselling and Therapy. How this is a special issue for all therapies, but particularly – for CBT.
- How MI is built on a “solid platform of Rogerian counselling” and how it is different from it.
- Areas of new developments – from criminal justice system to sport psychology, classroom management and CBT.
- “It’s been an exciting journey”. New strategies for goal setting, advice and praise giving; MI integration with CBT, Compassion Focused Therapy and Positive Psychology.
- Why MI has new things to teach us after 30 years after its initial development.
Length 47 min.