An exclusive Masterclass by Professor Tony Attwood and Dr Michelle Garnett run by SDS Seminars Ltd in Association with Attwood & Garnett Events. It will be presented on Zoom over two consecutive days, 2 & 3 September 2021, 9 AM - 12 noon, UK time, in the beginning of the school year to enable practitioners, parents and teachers to work effectively with behavioural and emotional difficulties presented in children and adolescents with ASD.
Children and adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) often struggle to understand and express emotions, resulting in high levels of anxiety, stress, anger and/or depression. These struggles have been made even more pronounced during the last several months of COVID-related uncertainty - numerous lockdowns, home-schooling, re-starting the school after several months of staying at home, worries about health and safety - to name just a few.
Conventional strategies that encourage emotion management for typical children do not seem to be as effective with those who have an ASD. The child’s quality of life, self-esteem and well-being will be influenced by their ability to manage emotions and difficulties with emotion management can lead to being suspended and having a notoriety that will affect the attitude of teachers and peers as well as the attitude of the child to themselves.
Through several decades of working with children and adolescents with ASD and their families and schools, Michelle and Tony have discovered, developed and evaluated emotion management strategies based on Mindfulness and Cognitive Behaviour Therapy that have proven to be effective in assisting children with ASD to learn about, and manage, their emotions from anxiety to love.
They will specifically address COVID- and lockdown-realated issues listed above and will be happy to answer your questions during this live event.
Who will benefit?
- Teachers, teacher assistants, staff, school administration staff
- Mental health professionals, including psychologists, occupational therapists, speech pathologists, social workers, counsellors, GPs, paediatricians and psychiatrists and others
- Parents, carers and family members who support a child or adolescent with ASD
This Masterclass will be delivered:
- on Zoom
- over two consecutive days - 2 & 3 September 2021
- in two 3-hour sessions
- start 9 AM, UK Time - please notice earlier than normal starting time!
- Finish - 12 noon.
- Understand why children and adolescents with ASD have emotion management difficulties
- Recognise how anxiety presents behaviourally for a child or adolescent with ASD especially in the times of uncertainty
- Gain strategies to manage intense anger in a child with ASD
- Know how to deal with challenging behaviour
- Understand and support strategies to assist a child or adolescent with ASD to overcome depression
- Utilise anxiety management strategies to assist a child with ASD to feel calmer at school
You will receive:
- Access to the course recording for 60 days following the live event
- A Live Q&As with Tony & Michelle throughout the day
- Downloadable Handouts to complement the course
- Certificate of Attendance
Your Zoom link will be sent to you 7 days prior the event, please, check your Inbox and Junk Mail folder for it.
As this is a joint event of SDS Seminars and Attwood & Garnett Events, you may receive emails from both organisers.